7 Rules for Surviving Change

 
“Change before you have to,” are words from the iconic, Jack Welch.  Are you ready for the change?


As I noted in my previous post, “Farewell,” I am going through a career shift.  After nearly 30 years of full-time ministry, I am at a place of change.  After Heather, my first wife, died, I came to understand the valley of the shadow of death…and the valley of suck that caregivers journey.  During that time, God and I had many conversations. Back then, I sensed change would come for me in this area but how? When?  

I found that out.

When I look at it I think there are two kinds of people: those who fight change and those that accept change when it comes.  I don’t think either take it lightly or easily, accepting doesn’t mean it won’t happen, its perspective.  I remember vividly when Heather’s contractions started and our rush to the hospital.  Logan, our son, was coming into the world.  Fighting against this wasn’t even in the cards.  And years later, at her bedside, none of us could stop the moment from coming when Heather would take her last breath.

So, again, I came to accept change would come again.  Not a damn thing we can do except fight it or accept it, and I tend to be the latter.  This time, I have prepared, though that doesn’t mean it was easy.  Like packing for a camping trip…it takes A LOT of work to have that fun!  Though, I can’t say this change is fun.  It is change nonetheless and how I face it, well, that I have some say about now.


I came across a list of 7 Rules of Life.  I think they are more appropriate: 7 Practices for Surviving Change.  Facing a career change like me? Family life in upheaval? Do you need to move?  Have you lost a friend? A love? Your dreams?   Life IS change so I would say either would work just fine and these seven simple rules aren’t wrong.  They may just be the guard rails you need.


Let it Go.

Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad day.


Ignore The Haters.

Don't listen to what other people think of you. Live a life that is empowering to you.


Give it Time.

Give it some time, time heals, but scars do stay.


Don’t Compare.

Don't compare yourself; the only person you should try to beat is the person you were yesterday.


Stay Calm.

Stay calm and know that its okay to not have everything figured out.


It’s on You.

You are in charge of your happiness and how your life turns out.


 Smile, or don’t.

Life is short. Enjoy it while you have it.


You can fight it but change will run you down like a semi-truck.  You can’t win that fight but I have come to learn, though life sucks, you can go after the good and seek after God, and you’ll find that when the hard ground of our souls is broken up, it makes good soil for things to grow; for change to flower and give fruit.


Go on now. Enhance life. Enhance home. Enhance our world with the changed you!





0 comments:

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP